This week I had the opportunity to present a review of library programs and activities to the Education subcomittee of the School Council. This was a great opportunity to reflect on past achievements, current practices and project developments for the library in our particular context. Ours is a library catering for Years 3 -12 with the senior and junior school operating on separate timings.
The changing nature of information services in a school is not always apparent to your Council, or whatever body oversees your school. I was fortunate to have 45 minutes to expand and explain many of the things from this list. I cannot post the presentation as it contains many photos of our students, but here is an outline of points covered.
- What is library ? Familiar scenes - collections, users and activities
- What is library? The more recent - digital collections, ereaders, mobile devices, etexts
- Changing nature of use by students - collaborative activities
- Information tools available for library users - website, databases, curriculum pathfinders and more
- Specific tools - staff newsletter, digital video collection
- Class uses of library with specific examples, hours and timings
- Reading promotion activities - blogs and other tools
- Changing nature of content curation, new tools
- 2011 projects - LibGuides, Destiny quest, QR codes, development of Junior School resource centre and subsequent review of our space